What is Tax Free Shopping?
Tax Free shopping is the purchasing of certain taxable goods in the UAE which will be exported (subject to terms and conditions) whereby shoppers can obtain a refund of the VAT charged on these goods, providing that they validate their purchases at the point of exit. Tax-Free refund is only available on goods purchased on or after 18 November 2018
Who is eligible?
You should be 18 or over and not resident in the UAE. Crew members on flights leaving the UAE are not eligible to claim. Under current rules, GCC Nationals are eligible. Please note that there may be restrictions on UAE nationals who are resident abroad for the purposes of studying.
What goods are eligible for Tax Free Shopping?
Certain taxable goods except for: • Goods that have been consumed, fully or partly, in the UAE • Motor vehicles, boats and aircrafts • Goods that are not accompanied by the overseas tourist at the time of leaving the UAE
How to validate your goods
- Before you check in your luggage, take the goods and tagged receipt to one of our validation points.
- Scan or enter your passport number or GCC National ID card.
- Follow the instructions on screen, and if you get a green light, you’ve completed the validation process.
- If you get a red light, contact one of our Planet staff who are standing next to the validation point for help.
- Choose your preferred refund method – credit/ debit card or cash.
- Planet processes the refund* * If choosing a cash refund, the maximum refund amount is 10,000 AED per tourist. Any additional value over this amount must be paid to a credit/debit card.
How do I shop Tax Free? 100% digital 250 Dirhams minimum spend
- The tourist makes an eligible purchase.
- The shop assistant captures information from the tourist’s Passport or GCC National ID card using the solution (this should be the same Passport or GCC National ID that was used to enter the UAE).
- The shop assistant enters the transaction purchase price.
- The Tax Free Tag is attached to the back of the sales receipt.
- The Tax Free Tag is scanned to link the transaction with the tourist’s Passport or GCC National ID card
How much time do I have to complete the procedure?
Your Tax Free Tag needs to be validated within 90 days of the purchase date. For instance: a form issued on 1st of April should be validated by 29th of June. If this is not done, the Tax Free Tag expires, and the refund cannot be claimed. Full Terms and Conditions and how to track your refund are available on www.planetpayment.ae.